Total Page Views

Places I Like To Go









Followers

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What to do with myself

I now have two children in school full time. Mikey is in first grade, and Nathan is in kindergarten. So, I am home all day with the two little ones. I do the mommy thing all day but I am wanting to branch out a little and do something for myself.

I received my A.A.S degree in Human Services back in May of this year. My husband and I both decided that in order to get a full time job, and work around annoying schedule issues, I would wait until I have all four children in school full time. Which will not be happening for another 3 years.

Well, that is fine with me, but I want to make some extra money. My question here is what do I do with myself? I am a certified respite care provider through the state of NY so I am legally able to work with developmentally disabled people. However, in order to do a lot of that kind of work one needs their license and a vehicle. One of those two things I do not have. A license. Why you ask? Well because of my ongoing struggle with anxiety (but that can be addressed at another time.) I could do it in my home, which is what I am thinking about. I just need to have one room certified for proper usage by the client. If I wanted a full time-live in client I would need to go through the whole process of getting my entire house certified and though that would be doable, I am just not sure if I want that type of commitment.

Then there is the idea of babysitting in my home part time. I don't want to go through the process that it takes to be certified to be a daycare provider. I am sure I could find local people who would allow me to watch their kids but let's be honest here-I don't really "like" other people's children very much. I can tolerate them at best. I am sure once I get my stress and anxiety under control I would feel differently about other people's spawn.

I have also toyed with the idea of going back to a department store. Do I want to do that? I just don't know.

So, what are your thoughts?

3 comments:

Betsy said...

I don't tend to like other people's kids, either. I don't know, Kel...I mean, I understand the compulsion to make a little extra, that's why I'm trying to get my knitting out there. Even if it's just a little, I'd like to have more of a cushion. But when you have little bitties, it's hard. I sure would like to encourage you to get your license, though. I don't claim to understand the anxiety factor, I just can't imagine sitting at home all day, every day, and having to rely on someone else to give me a ride. It's nice to have that freedom. I know a lot of folks do Cha-cha? BUt I've never gotten a good handle on how that works. Try contacting Teresa Coppes, she's on my friends list, and she's made it her mission to help moms find a good way to work from home.

Unknown said...

I used to be a preschool teacher, but now after having my own spawn, I couldn't tolerate being around other peoples kids all day.

And Bets is right, Teresa is aces with finding work at home stuff!!!

*Personally* I think if you are going to do something for you, getting out o f the house to do it would be nice, just to establish that as your very own.

Kelli Shafer said...

Thanks a lot girls :-) I will definitely get in touch with Teresa and see what she says. I am going to be working on getting my license very soon so hopefully that will help as well.

About Me

My Photo
HatefulAngel
Mohawk, NY, United States
I am married to Mike. We have been together for 12 years and married for 4 of those years. We have 4 gorgeous boys together. Mikey is 5 yrs old. Nathan is 4 yrs old. Dylan is 2 1/2 yrs old and Benjamin is almost 9 months old.
View my complete profile